Week November 4th

Dear 4A,

I hope you all had a nice weekend. I got to celebrate my youngest child this weekend as he turned 18! When he was little, we always used to bake pumpkin bread together right after Halloween. This year that is what he wanted for his “birthday cake”.

Our Halloween party on Thursday was a blast with root beer floats, treats, and some pretty cool slime, thanks to Mrs. Downer, Mrs. Wolert, and Mrs. Kramer. We also enjoyed being able to join in the parade at the end of the day. Dia de los Muertos on Friday was a beautiful and moving experience. I am so happy the 4th graders were able to participate during this chapel hour.

This week:

• Starting this Monday we will begin our Canned Food Drive. It will run until November 25th, and cans can be dropped off in our classroom.  Our class will be discussing this in more detail tomorrow.
  • Friday- Field Day. This is a half day, and students will be dismissed at 12:00. Students will be receiving a field day t-shirt this week.
  • Monday November 11- No school for Veteran’s Day

Math: We will be starting Unit 4- Measuring and Classifying Shapes. This week we start with linear measurement. We will be using measurement tools, converting measurements, measuring lengths, and determining perimeters.

Social Studies: We have been studying the Southwest region of the United States. We used a strategy called jigsaw last week where students worked in teams and reported back to the larger group on what they learned. We will continue our study of this region this week. Students will also be asked to complete an Arizona state report in the coming weeks. I am going to have them complete this using Google Slides, which we used for an early project this year. I will be sending home the details/expectations of this project the week of November 12th.

Language Arts: We are continuing our novel study of Strider this week. Our focus will be on citing text evidence when answering questions, along with using context clues to help determine the meaning of words. We will also continue our narrative writing.

Have a great week!